Parents » Health Office

Health Office

RBHS Heath Information

Health Technician: Lexi Colvin at [email protected]
(858) 485-4800 x4830 
Rancho Bernardo has a Health Technician to take care of first aid and emergencies.  In case of student illness at school, the Health Technician will notify parents or the emergency contact listed on the enrollment form.  No registered nursing services are provided at the school on a daily basis.  The school does not supply medications of any kind.
Please let the Health Technician know if your child has a life threatening illness such as diabetes, seizure disorders, or severe allergies (Bees/Food).  We want to be prepared to provide safe care for your child.  Please be advised that there are no emergency medications at the school; parents are responsible for providing epipens, Benadryl (or other), glucagon and insulin.  If no supplies are provided for your student we will call 911 if there is ever a concern.  To enable us to provide safe care for your child at school, please submit the required completed form(s) found at PUSD Health Services:
  • Diabetic Management Plan
  • H-58 Potential Anaphylactic Reaction
  • H-26b Authorization to Carry Medication While at School (if applicable) OR
  • H-26 Authorization for Medication Administration While at School
Parents must come to the health office with the appropriate forms and medications if appropriate. This includes medications such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Please click on PUSD Health Services to download documents:
  • Authorization for Medication
  • Authorization to Carry Medication
  • Diabetic Management Plan - Parent Consent & Physician Authorization
  • Suggested Procedure in Caring for Students with Potential Anaphylactic Reaction (H-58)
  • Tdap immunization requirements
  • Other District Health Forms see PUSD Health Services.


Medication may not be left with the front desk receptionist to give to the Health Technician.
Medication at school MUST have a Doctor Signature. Please do not send your child to school with medication. If they need to receive anything including over the counter medications it is required by law to have doctor and parent signed Authorization to Administer Medication. The District medical procedures are for the safety of the students. For any questions regarding this policy please call the Health Office to answer your questions. Some medication would be : Motrin, Tylenol, Albuterol, Inhalers of all types, Eye drops, Nose sprays, antibiotic ointments, Antibiotics(needed during the school day), Benadryl,etc.
According to California State law, prescription and non-prescription medications are permitted to be taken at school only with a written statement from the physician AND a written statement from the parent or guardian. The Health Office has a form available titled “Authorization for Medication Administration”.
Written information that must be provided is: · Student’s name · The name of the medication · Physician’s instructions detailing the date(s), method, amount and time medication is to be given · Parent/guardian and Physician signature.
This information is required for all medications including “over-the-counter” Tylenol, ibuprofen, cold/allergy medicines, etc. All medications MUST be labeled with the student’s name and above information, in the original Rx or OTC container.
Sunscreen, cough drops, lip balm and Vaseline, etc, must have a note from the parent on file and will also be monitored by the school personnel.

Whooping Cough/Pertussis

The entire state has recently experienced an epidemic of whooping cough cases which is the common name for pertussis. Whooping cough is a bacterial respiratory illness characterized by severe spasms of coughing that can last for several weeks or even for months. Whooping cough is usually spread from person-to-person through close contact with respiratory droplets released when a person coughs or sneezes. Whooping cough, which gets its name from the noise children make when they gasp for breath between violent coughs, can be deadly in infants under the age of 12 months. It is usually just an annoying illness in older children and adults, although it can turn into bronchitis or other lung infections.
The best way to prevent the disease is with vaccination. Infants begin receiving this vaccine at two months of age. By the time children reach young adulthood, they no longer have the immunity and require a booster. A vaccine for older children and adults became available in 2005. Parents can protect their infants and children by checking with their health care provider to make sure that all family members’ immunizations are up to date. For the most recent local information or local immunization clinics please go to the County of San Diego Public Health Department’s Immunization website.