Students » Work Permits

Work Permits

Summer Work Permits are issued at the Career, Technical and Adult Education Office on Twin Peaks Road.  For information and office hours, click here.

Steps to Obtaining a Work Permit While School is in Session 

  • Read, fill and sign the (B1-1) Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for Work Permit form.  You must provide your social security number (mandatory).  You may click here for the form.
  • Bring to your employer to fill out the employer's information and sign.
  • Return the completed form to RBHS Counseling Office front desk.   Please be aware that there is up to a 3 school day turnaround to process the work permit.
  • Students must pick up the completed work permit in person with ID as it requires their signature.  Parents or siblings  may not pick up the work permit for the student.  
  • Please allow 3 school days to process the permit after the application is submitted.
**Students may not work until the actual work permit has been issued.**

Entertainment Work Permits

  •  If you need to obtain an entertainment work permit, please visit the Department of Industrial Relations Website  and follow the instructions.  Applications for Permission to Work in the Entertainment Industry can be found here.

Approving Work Permits

Student attendance, discipline and course history records will be reviewed. The minimum requirements are:
  • Minimum 2.0 GPA
  • Must be in good standing with Attendance Office
  • Student dicipinary records will be reviewed
If the student meets all of requirements, the work permit will be issued. If student does not meet these minimum requirements, they will need to meet with their Assistant Principal.  In some cases, the student will need to show improvement before a work permit will be approved or they may have work limitations.  In addition, if student does not continue to meet the requirements during the school year when the work permit was issued, the permit may be revoked.  
Summer Work Permits are issued at the Career, Technical and Adult Education Office on Twin Peaks Road.  For information and office hours, click here.


Q: If I've graduated from high school, do I need a work permit?

A: Once a minor is no longer subject to the state's compulsory education laws, he/she is not considered a minor for purposes of the state's child labor laws (labor code 1286[c]). Therefore, a high school graduate does not require a permit and may work in any occupation.

Q: If I have more than one job, do I need more than one work permit?

A: Yes, you will need a separate work permit for each job that you hold.

Q: When do work permits expire?

A: Summer work permits expire five days after the beginning of the next school year. Work permits issued during the school year, providing you remain with the same employer, expire five days after the following school year begins.

Q: Do I need to get a new work permit if I'm working now?

A: A new work permit must be obtained at the begining of each school year.

Q: Can my parent/guardian bring in my Request for Work Permit and be issued a work permit?

A: No, you must email your Request for Work Permit after it has been completed. The work permit will require the student's ID and signature before it may be issued. The student must be present when the work permit is issued.

Q: Can I start working when my employer signs the Request for Work Permit?

A: No, you must have the work permit issued first before you can begin working.

Q: What ages are required to have a work permit?

A: Any student under the age of 18 who has not graduated from high school must have a work permit on file.

Q: Can I get a work permit at my high school?

A: Yes, during the school year, work permits are issued at all high schools. In the summer, Poway Adult School issues work permits.